Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Flickr Story #3: Watch Your Step



I awoke with a start. Silence, bar the buzz of the neon outside my
window, can can girl legs enticing customers to the sleaze bar
downstairs and kicking a pink glow into my room every few seconds.

It was still there, I could see it, a warning on the back of my door.
Not a dream. The type of people who leave such threats have no qualms
breaking and entering. At least it was just a sign they left and not a
thug behind the door. At the rate I'd been making friends in this shit-
hole part of town I was likely to run out of kneecaps.

The door suddenly shook as a fist pounded on the other side. Great. If
only the sign wasn't stuck over my peephole I could get a glimpse of
whoever was interested in seeing me at this hour. I'm betting it
wasn't Katherine. I quickly grabbed my gun from under my pillow,
slipped on my jacket and dropped out the window to the fire escape
below. Maybe the sign was right: time to watch my step.

----

Again, Hadyn's is here.